Tuesday, April 5, 2022

After the Nephrologist

After my panic and stress over being staged at 3b, I now feel such relief.

I saw the nephrologist yesterday and I had worked myself up so that I was almost weeping by the time he came into the exam room. The poor nurse who had to take my vitals didn't know what to do with me but be as nice as possible without calling the psych ward.

The doctor immediately put me at ease. First, he taught me how to say his name. He is Indian but his name isn't too difficult for my Amerian tongue. I'm sure his introduction was meant to be a stress-reducer. It worked. He had me smiling about 3 minutes into the appointment. 

I went very prepared. I had the printouts of my Cronometer nutrient diary, a copy of my latest labs, and a list of questions written out in a tiny notepad. He already had my labs and he only glanced at the Cronometer printout. He moved my pen and notepad to the side. He then explained that I didn't need to be as strict with my diet as I've been. He also warned me that stress is not good for my health in general.

By the time I left the appointment, I was assured that with his care and some dietary cautions - not my manic and obsessive food-tracking - I won't need to worry about dialysis for another 20 to 25 years. He said that we are going to work together as a team. We. I like that. Between him watching over my kidney function and my other doctors monitoring my neurosarcoidosis, I am going to be alright.

I'm not sure what I was most relieved about: not having to forever give up yogurt and collard greens or not having to think about being hooked up to a machine 3 times a week.

Of course, I do need to be careful about food. I just don't have to be as self-depriving as I've been. I need to drink a lot of water, keep getting moderate exercise, and stay on top of my meds.

I don't think I've thanked the Lord Jesus so much since I recovered from the aphasia when I first got this dang disease.

Anyway. 

I will be going back for a follow-up appointment in about 6 weeks and I will, of course, have regular urinalysis and blood checks. At the most, I might have to have an ultrasound down the road or maybe a kidney biopsy. And that is only because this neurosarc is crazy and unpredictable.

When I walked out to the car, my brother and SIL could tell from my expression that things had gone well. I probably had worried them sick with all my worrying. 

Yesterday was such a good day. Today is a good day. I will savor this.

The thing is, even though the doctor has given me permission to ease up on my dietary restrictions, I've kind of gotten used to eating the way I have been. If I am completely honest, the only thing I really miss is having my homemade pinto beans with ground beef and cornbread. 

I'm so thankful and I really appreciate so much the folks in the subreddit for CKD. Everyone there is so sharing and supportive of each other. I'm also still in love with this Cronometer app. I'm keeping that, for real.

So that's my good news. In spite of the neurosarcoidosis and all its annoyances, I'm happy today. I'm going to go and have a second cup of coffee with some brown sugar the cashew milk I discovered. Tonight, I might make my beans and cornbread for the week.

Peace

--Free

Chitosan & This CKD

 Recently, I made a post about being careful of supplements. Most of us with a chronic disease will often feel desperate enough to try ever...